Wednesday, May 14, 2008

Depression

37% of girls and 20% of guys in the U.S. have been so hopeless that they have stopped their regular activities.

22% of girls and 12% of guys have seriously thought about committing suicide.

Recently, I've been confronted (and yes, I do mean confronted) with many lost people. These people are hurt and floundering, looking for some purpose in life. This leads them to drugs, alcohol, sex.... Every place but where satisfaction is found. What's even more painful than watching them do this is knowing that the only One who gives purpose is so near to them, just waiting for them to ask Him to change them. These people are curious about Christianity, hungry for something more than the horrible things that they run to for satisfaction.

How will they know unless we tell them? How will they know unless we make a stand and lovingly tell them about our Savior? It's not the popular thing to do and we will get laughed at, but believe me.. It's worth it. They need Him, just like we needed Him. If it wasn't for His grace we would be where they are.. Lost and hurting. But we aren't there and we aren't there because someone heard His voice and told us about what He did.

A week or so ago I was talking to a guy about his religion. He said that as long as people are good then God will accept them (by the way, me talking to people about "religion" isn't a normal thing, usually the conversations I have with people are just focused on Jesus, but as it turned out, it was a good thing that we were talking about religion). I said something about how we are all sinners. A girl we were with whipped around and said, "Maybe we should talk about something else."

"Well, I'd rather talk about this than sex and booze."

"I don't want to hear about why you think I'm going to hell."

This was rather a tense moment, but then we moved on. A few minutes later she asked me what I thought about evolution and that lead into a conversation with lots of good questions from her. She was hungry. It was actually really amazing because just from the questions she asked I presented the Gospel. And no, she didn't accept Christ, but she heard me giving glory to God.

It's so important that they see us, you guys... It's SO important. And you don't know where your neighbor, co-worker, or fellow student is at. Just be prepared to give glory to God at any time. He left us in the world for a purpose, and that purpose is that more people can be saved.

"But how can they call on him to save them unless they believe in him? And how can they believe in him if they have never heard about him? And how can they hear about him unless someone tells them? And how will anyone go and tell them without being sent? That is why the Scriptures say, “How beautiful are the feet of messengers who bring good news!”
Romans 10:14-15

2 comments:

Elyse said...

What I find to be interesting is that although girls think about suicide more, guys actually commit suicide more than girls (11 out of 100,000 versus 2 out of 100,000). Girls get a lot of attention for depression, but it seems that guys are high at risk as well.

Sin is pretty lame. I'm looking forward to being free of it for forever.

Elyse said...

For forever even. School needs to end soon, my brain is tired. >_<